Wow, the summer has flown by so fast! Leif did a variety of camps this summer: soccer, baseball, music, cub scouts and history. History camp involves living the life of a pioneer from 1899. Leif made butter and root beer, he panned for gold and he took care of chickens. At first he thought it was boring, but he changed his mind by the end of the week. I think he realized how lucky he is to have electricity, indoor plumbing, modern medicine and chickens that he didn't have to kill. No, they didn't kill any chickens at the camp, but they talked about how the pioneers raised their own food. It was a good experience for him. At cub scout camp, he shot arrows from a bow and he fired a BB gun. He thought that was so cool.
Justus attended a T-ball camp at the rec center. I say attended because sometimes he sat on the bench and watched the other 3-5 year olds play T-ball. He did participate a few times when I stood with him in the field. His throw is accurate and his hit is strong, but he doesn't see his potential skills. Maybe Justus will be an individual sport kid rather than a team sport kid. Justus is not comfortable with new situations, which is why I made him do T-ball. If Justus had his way, he would never leave the house, at least not for any length of time. He starts kindergarten on August 18 and I hope he will adjust quickly and easily.
My physical therapy is going well and I see small improvements each week. My neck and shoulder pain is greatly diminished. I do exercises that strengthen my shoulders, and I constantly monitor my posture, especially when I sit at my desk. Following the therapist's advice is key. I don't think I would be making progress if I was not doing the exercises.
The new thing for me this summer is Zumba, a latin-style dance aerobics class. I have taken 3 classes at my local fitness center. Since it is a new class, the instructor stops between songs to show us the moves. I think if I walked into a class that had been going for awhile, I would be lost! The moves are complex and quick. It's really fun and it's a great workout.
Only a few more weeks of summer remain, so get out there and enjoy it!
Monday, July 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment