Monday, January 12, 2009

The Shack

After reading Eric's blog (http://ericdeeter.blogspot.com/) reviewing the book "The Shack," I decided to add some thoughts about my own experience with this book.

I downloaded "The Shack" audiobook from iTunes and listened to it in the car. One day, I was driving downtown during the lunch rush. I was listening to the chapter where Papa (God) told Mac about how much he loved the human race and how much he valued each person. As I watched different types of people crossing the street in front of my car, I suddenly saw them through God's eyes. I saw their value, whether they were wearing rags or Ralph Lauren. I can't explain it, but I felt this overwhelming sense of love for complete strangers.

Later that day, I was waiting in line to pick up the boys from school. I don't remember what chapter I was listening to, but I found myself speaking out loud. I said, "Finally, someone has put into words how I see and understand God." I don't know why I said it aloud since I was in the car by myself.

Those are my 2 experiences from listening to the book. "The Shack" gave me a new perspective. It did not change my beliefs, but rather confirmed that my relationship with the Almighty is based in love. I love him and he loves me. Simple yet profound.

In Eric's blog, he mentioned there are contradictory opinions about this book. I have read several opinions that say the book is heresy. I can understand their point of view and I appreciate their use of scripture to back up their opinion. I am not a theologian and I don't claim to have all the answers, but I know God is a real, relational being who wants to interact with us on a daily basis, and he wants us to love him. Theology and religiosity aside, it all comes down to God's incredible love for us. I hope you believe that he loves you, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elan,

I was deeply touched in hearing how the book affected you. Thanks for giving words to your experiences. I had the same reaction about parts of the book, saying that someone had put into words some of my own inarticulate feelings.

Dad