Relaxation. How do we achieve it in our hurry-up, stressed-out, over-scheduled lives? Do we drop everything and move into a monastery? Do we spend our evenings on the couch watching endless hours of reality television? What is the best way to relax? Well, I think each person will define it differently. Some of us get involved in sports as a way to stay in shape and relax. Some of us read books or study the bible or take fun classes. Some of us relax by entertaining others in our homes, sharing a meal and wine together. Whatever we enjoy doing is usually our favorite method of relaxing.
When I get stressed, there are several things I do to relax. First, I bake something sweet like cookies or a dessert. I'm not sure exactly why baking is relaxing, but it works for me. Secondly, I do tai chi. When I do it at a fast pace, it doubles as aerobic exercise. When I do it slow and methodically, it challenges my muscles and balance. Third, I read. I read health magazines, motivational books, and some sort of bible study devotional book, which is usually homework from my womens bible study group. I seem to always have 3 reading projects going at once.
So after my crazy month of September, how have I spent the first few days of October? I baked chocolate chip cookies, I did some free form, personal expression, dance style tai chi. Then I did my bible study class homework. (I will write more about that in a future blog.) Yes, I am in a much better place after doing these things. Incredible, isn't it, how we let life overwhelm us? I am still very busy, but I don't have that overwhelmed-by-life kind of feeling that I had in September. One thing that I am learning from tai chi is to yield to oncoming energy. It's an art and a science that I am just beginning to comprehend.
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love your writing style! You inspire me!!
Elan,
Your writing combines meditation, observation, tacit advice, and personal reflection in a style that's easy to read, informative, and enjoyable.
Dad
Total exhaustion... after that I relax easily.
Post a Comment