What's the difference between an old friend and a new friend? An old friend has seen all your bad hairstyles and ugly clothes. A new friend sees you as you are today with a cool hairstyle and cool clothes. The point I am trying to make is that people from your past know what you have been through; they have seen your mistakes and triumphs. If they are still your friend, then they love you in spite of your past. A new friend has no idea what you have been through in life and therefore cannot judge you for the person you used to be.
What about old friends who drift away and then come back into your life? This year I attended my high school reunion and learned that one of my dearest friends whom I had lost touch with now lives in the same city as me. We have lived in the same city for 8 years and neither of us realized it. The reason? We lost touch after high school. You swear your allegiance to be friends forever, and somehow you drift apart.
My dear friend invited me to her house for a holiday party last weekend. It was a strange experience because the girl she used to be and the girl I used to be are not the same as the women we are today. In some ways, we are still the same girls, but something is different. Are we old friends or new friends? We have missed so many years of each other's lives. Do we start over as new friends or do we start where we left off in high school? I think time will answer that question as we see where the relationship goes. Whether your friends are old or new, cherish them forever.
Monday, December 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I've found that few friends travel with us through life. We change and grow and become different people. There are few friends willing to allow us to become a different person, even if we are becoming a better person. Cherish those friends who will cheer us on to new heights.
[
Elan,
A fascinating experience, isn't it. It's one way we can realize how much we have changed. In junior high I had a dear friend Don Brady who moved to El Paso when we were in the 8th grade. We visited him in El Paso years later, and I was shocked by how little we had in common. During the intervening years, we had grown in different directions, and the magic of the relationship was gone.
Dad
Post a Comment