I am bored. I cut my hair because I was bored with it. I bought a new sweater because I was bored with my current wardrobe. I rearranged some pictures, moved some furniture. I want to change the configuration of my family room because I am bored with the current arrangement. I am even bored with food. I have some new cookbooks so I'm trying a new recipe every night of the week. If I have to eat spaghetti one more day, I'm going to vomit! My job is boring, too. I'm bored doing the same thing every day, a slave to my laptop, sitting all day long.
Why do I get bored so easily? Why do I crave change? I would describe myself as a loyal, responsible, hard working employee who likes structure and routine. Talk about boring! Even my description of myself is boring! I used to be a wild child. My friends called me crazy, zany and fun-loving. So what happened? How did I get to be so boring? It's like I fell into a structure hole and stayed there!
Structure. In tai chi, structure is the yin. Yin is feminine, stillness, introspective. Yang is masculine, active, external. When I practice tai chi, I prefer the yang, which is movement. My tai chi teacher says I need to work on structure. If I am stuck in the structure hole, why is structure the area that needs the most work? I have a theory about this. I like opposites. I married someone opposite of me. None of my friends are like me. I crave change because change is my opposite. As a bored person living a boring life, I am attracted to the opposite of boring - change. I need change to balance the boredom. Yin and yang are the balance of opposites. I guess I need a little of both.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Such great writing!
Post a Comment