In my last blog entry I wrote about being bored. I have been thinking about my life and praying about my boredom. I was lamenting to God about being bored in my job. In the last few years when I have prayed about change in my life, I get the same answer - now is not the time. But recently I think I heard something different from God - wait and see. So maybe I have advanced down the road a little bit on this trek toward change. Now it is wait and see.
Something interesting happened after this prayer. I was contacted by a recruiter about a sales position at a small software company. I get calls occasionally from recruiters so I didn't put much thought into this particular call. But this recruiter hit some buttons in my mind. His words hit on some things that have been going through my head lately, specifically about change and the fear associated with change. It was almost like he was reading my thoughts! It was eerie.
The recruiter set up an interview for me, I did the interview with the sales manager, and the sales manager wants me to interview with the vice president, corporate sales, and technical sales. So 3 more interviews. Now I am faced with a decision. Do I continue down the interview path or do I stop the process? My job with IBM is and always has been uncertain. My manager wants to hire me as a permanent employee, but IBM moves at the pace of a snail.
There is something to be said for staying in a job where you know the ins and outs of the company, the processes and procedures, the people, how to navigate the corporate structure, etc. Like the saying goes - it's easier to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't know. I'm comfortable in my job yet bored at the same time! Maybe it's this duplicity that bothers me. There is also something to be said about risk. You won't know the outcome until you jump. Risk and faith go hand in hand. One should not live forever in their comfort zone because that is the ultimate boredom.
Today I am flip flopping between comfort and risk. I'll let you know how it turns out...
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You could be writing about me a few months ago! This is the exact position I was in before switching jobs in November. I went through those same thoughts. God called me to step out, and He's met me every step of the way! I truly believe that if you honor Him in the process, He'll honor you in His outcome. I'll be praying for clarity for you. Keep us updated!
Thanks for putting your thoughts together for us to read. After our conversation Sunday evening we have kept you in our thoughts, prayers and conversations, confident that you will have clear direction from God. As you said, wait and see; he is faithful in guiding and you'll know His peace. Love, Mom
Thanks for putting your thoughts together for us to read. After our conversation Sunday evening we have kept you in our thoughts, prayers and conversations, confident that you will have clear direction from God. As you said, wait and see; he is faithful in guiding and you'll know His peace. Love, Mom
Someone once said, "God will never give you more than you can handle. But I wish He didn't have such a high opinion of my ability to handle it." I too will be praying for you. It seems God will be bringing an end to your boredom. I've also found that the first opportunity isn't always the one He has for you. Sometimes opportunities come in order to get us moving and in the movement God reveals His real intention for us. I will pray for you to have wisdom to see His desire for you.
Wow, what an interesting response to your writing about boredom. It's almost like God said, "OK, if that's the way you feel, let's see what can be done about it."
Love, Dad
Post a Comment