Friday, June 13, 2008

Warm day, no pain

I have been swamped with work the past 4 weeks. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed that I want to cry, but I don't have time to cry because I have too much to do. I just keep plugging away day after day without rest. It's a good thing I like my job because it would be hard to keep this pace if I didn't enjoy my work.

I have been in a funk the last few weeks. I could not figure out why I was feeling so sad. I thought it was because I felt so stressed and overwhelmed at work. Today I figured it out. I was walking down to the mailbox and I was sweating because it's finally warm. I felt a wave of joy crash over me. I realized that my mind has been telling me that I should be warm because June is supposed to be a warm month. But I've been wearing long sleeves, jeans and a jacket (and warm pajamas) just like I would wear in winter because it's been so cold. I have been depressed because it's supposed to be warm and I'm freezing cold! How can the weather have such a huge impact on my mood? I don't get it.

The other thing I realized is that my constant neck and shoulder pain is a big contributing factor to my bad moods. Daily pain is not fun to live with. I started going to physical therapy this week at the recommendation of my doctor. After 30 minutes in physical therapy today, my pain was gone. Totally gone. A warm day with no pain - no wonder my mood improved so quickly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Knowing how busy you've been, it's good to hear that you enjoy your work. And I'm glad that you are taking some further steps to alleviate the pain that's been dragging you down.

Love you,

Dad