Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Flight to Raleigh

Yesterday I flew to Raleigh, NC for IBM Global Sales School, a training class for experienced sellers who are new to IBM. I had a layover and plane change in Cincinnati, which I thought was in Ohio, but I learned that the airport is actually in Hebron, KY. Go figure. Changing planes required changing terminals, which is common, but in this case, changing terminals was quite complicated. I took a shuttle bus, which drove across the tarmac, intersecting the runway where planes were landing, and arrived at the terminal on the other side. I guess a shuttle ride is cheaper than building a bridge (which the planes would hit) or a tunnel (which would be scary to be underneath a landing plane). I arrive in the other terminal and my flight is not listed on the board. I go to the information booth and the gentlemen tells me that the flight number has changed, but I could go to gate C66 and get more information. At the gate, I walk through a door that leads me outside to the tarmac. I'm standing right next to a small jet. I climb up the fold-out steps and I'm standing right in front of the tiny cockpit. The overhead compartments are not big enough for carry-on sized bags, so the larger carry-on bags are loaded into the bottom of the plane. The flight was uneventful and I arrived safely at the Raleigh-Durham airport. It was an interesting experience, especially driving across the runway and getting on a little jet via fold-out steps. I guess I'm so accustomed to the large jets that this experience felt strange to me. More later on Global Sales School.

2 comments:

Eric Deeter said...

Elan,
Glad your flight went well. I had a 5-hour layover in Cincinnati last year. I wonder what the air traffic controllers think of having to allow for trams on the runway. I heard that Delta and Continental are flying the smaller jets to cut down on fuel costs. They're kind of like riding in a sports car vs. a bus.

Anonymous said...

Elan,

It is something of a shock when you look at this little plane after riding the big jets. We had the same expereience last year, flying into San Juan, then catching a smaller prop-jet to St. Thomas.

Flying to Mexico City, we had to change planes and terminals at Dallas, but it was quick. Electric trams come by every 2 minutes, and they wisk you to the next terminal within a minute or two.

Love,

Dad